WASHINGTON D.C. May 19, 2026 — Vice President JD Vance reiterated the Trump administration’s firm stance Tuesday, stating that the United States will not accept any nuclear deal allowing Iran to develop a nuclear weapon and remains prepared to resume military operations if diplomacy collapses.
Speaking at a White House briefing, Vance emphasized ongoing indirect negotiations while underscoring President Donald Trump’s resolve.
“We are not going to have a deal that allows the Iranians to have a nuclear weapon — so as @POTUS just told me, we’re locked and loaded,” Vance said. “We don’t want to go down that pathway, but the President is willing and able to go down that pathway if we have to.”
Vance highlighted the risk of a broader nuclear arms race, noting that an Iranian nuclear weapon could trigger instability across the Middle East and beyond. “Iran can never have a nuclear weapon… Iran would really be the first domino in what would set off a nuclear arms race all over the world. That’s very, very bad for the safety of our country,” he added.
The comments come amid a fragile ceasefire in place since early April 2026, following U.S.-led strikes on Iranian targets earlier in the year. Indirect talks, mediated by countries including Pakistan, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia, have shown some progress on limiting Iran’s uranium enrichment and nuclear infrastructure, but no final agreement has been reached.
Vance noted that the U.S. has made “a lot of progress” in negotiations but stressed that success “takes two to tango.” He described the current moment as an opportunity to reset U.S.-Iran relations, which have been hostile for nearly five decades, while making clear that military options remain fully on the table.
The Trump administration has demanded strict verification measures, including limits on nuclear sites and controls on uranium stockpiles. Iran has pushed back, seeking relief from sanctions and the lifting of a U.S. naval blockade affecting the Strait of Hormuz, a critical global oil chokepoint.
President Trump has previously postponed additional strikes at the request of Gulf allies, giving negotiators more time, but has repeatedly warned that patience is not unlimited.
Vance’s remarks signal a “peace through strength” approach: aggressive diplomacy backed by credible military readiness. The administration continues to prioritize preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear capabilities as a core national security objective.
Negotiations remain fluid, with both sides expressing a preference for a deal over renewed conflict, though the path forward depends on Iran meeting U.S. demands on its nuclear program.
