TEHRAN Aug 21, 2026 — Iranian officials declared on Saturday that the global balance of power is moving away from the United States, citing what they described as Washington’s declining influence and recent setbacks in the Middle East.
Iranian Army spokesperson Brigadier General Mohammad Akraminia told state news agency IRNA that the “decline” of the United States is becoming “more visible” and that Washington has lost its “relevance as a major international power.”
“The Americans no longer have relevance as a power overseeing human rights issues, regional and global peace and security issues,” Akraminia said. He pointed to the formation of the Mecca Joint Defense Agreement involving Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Pakistan as evidence that U.S. influence in the region has waned, attributing the shift to Iran’s performance in the ongoing conflict with the United States.
Akraminia also stated that Tehran is gradually shifting its military doctrine from defensive to offensive.
Separately, Basij Organization head Hojjat al-Islam Hossein Taeb said the “global map of power is currently changing” and that the United States and Israel “can no longer claim to be the centerpiece of the world and the region.” Speaking at a national ceremony, Taeb claimed that the U.S. and Israel suffered a “severe defeat” from Iran and were forced to seek a ceasefire and negotiations after failing to achieve their objectives.
The remarks come amid a prolonged U.S.-Israel conflict with Iran that began earlier in 2026, involving strikes across the region and Iranian control measures in the Strait of Hormuz. Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has separately claimed that the world has accepted Iran’s victory in the confrontation.
U.S. officials have not immediately responded to the latest Iranian statements. The Trump administration has continued to emphasize economic pressure on Tehran while seeking to reopen shipping lanes in the Gulf.
