TEHRAN Aug 19, 2026 — Iran has assessed the possibility of attacking US military assets in Europe should the United States escalate the ongoing war, according to people close to the Iranian regime.
Two regime insiders told the Financial Times that Iranian forces have examined potential strikes on US facilities in south-eastern Europe, including Bulgaria’s Bezmer air base, which recently approved use by American refuelling aircraft. Cyprus, home to a British military base that was hit by a drone earlier this year, has also been discussed as a possible target.
The same sources said Iranian planners have separately considered disrupting subsea fibre-optic cables in the Strait of Hormuz as another means of raising the stakes.
One insider stated that Tehran would place “no limits” on its response if Washington goes too far: “Should the US go too far, Iran will defend itself at any price, go beyond the region and hit Europe too.”
The comments reflect a defiant mood in Tehran, where many within the leadership increasingly view a renewed round of fighting as inevitable rather than hypothetical. Iran has already demonstrated a willingness to target distant sites, including attempts to strike the joint US-UK base at Diego Garcia and previous incidents involving Turkish airspace and the British base in Cyprus.
The disclosures come amid continued US and Israeli operations against Iran that began earlier in 2026, with European bases playing a logistical support role for American forces.
No official Iranian government statement has confirmed the reported contingency planning.
