WASHINGTON D.C Aug 19, 2026 — President Donald Trump said Wednesday that he maintains a good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and voiced strong opposition to large-scale U.S.-South Korea military drills, calling them unnecessary and hostile.
“I do have a good relationship with Kim Jong Un,” Trump told reporters. “I didn’t like the fact that we’re doing these massive military exercises against North Korea.”
The comments came days after the president ordered Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to “substantially reduce” the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises, which began earlier this week and are scheduled to run through August 27. In a Truth Social post on Sunday, Trump said the drills are costly — with much of the expense covered by the United States — and send “a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile” to North Korea.
Trump argued that North Korea has remained “unthreatening and respectful” throughout his current term. He also indicated that Kim Jong Un has responded positively to recent U.S. outreach for dialogue, describing the exchanges as “very positive,” though he provided no further details.
The decision to scale back the exercises has drawn attention in Seoul and raised questions about the U.S.-South Korea alliance. Trump has repeatedly pointed to his personal rapport with Kim, noting their previous meetings during his first term in Singapore, Hanoi, and at the Demilitarized Zone.
North Korea has long condemned the joint drills as rehearsals for invasion. Trump’s latest remarks continue his preference for direct engagement with Kim over traditional military signaling in the region.
